• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

I currently have a Livescribe 3, and iPhone 6, and Evernote.  I use Swipes to keep track of my tasks and checklists in Evernote including those I jot down with the Livescribe.  I'm considering purchase of the N2 because of the size/comfort/appearance factor.  Before I do, I want to make sure it can handle the current workflow I use.  I'm hope someone here can answer my questions:

1) Will the N2 application automatically sync with Evernote any time I update a page in a notebook or do I need to do it manually?

2) Does the N2 application store each page as a separate note in Evernote (like Livescribe) or does it store an entire notebook in a single Evernote note (like the Samsung Snote application)?

3) Assuming the answer to 2 is that each page gets stored as a separate note, are the notes searchable in Evernote (like Livescribe) ?

4) If I go into Evernote and add a tag to a note from the pen, will the Evernote tag be overwritten or preserved (like the Livescribe) if I later update the handwritten page with the pen?

5) Can I go in to Evernote and add text to the note (like Livescribe) or is the note LOCKED and un-editable in Evernote (like with the SNote/Spen application) ?

6) Assuming I can add text and checkboxes to an N2 generated note in Evernote, if I later use the pen to update the note, with this text be preserved (like Livescribe) or will the Evernote note be completely overwritten?

7) Can I go into Evernote and move an N2 generated note to any Evernote notebook I want?

8) Assuming the answer to 7 is yes, if I later update the note with the pen, will the updated note remain in the Evernote notebook I moved it to?   If not, what happens?

Thanks for the help.

• HowardLet, Charleshape, RaymondMr and 6 others like this

#2 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:09 AM

I currently have a Livescribe 3, and iPhone 6, and Evernote.  I use Swipes to keep track of my tasks and checklists in Evernote including those I jot down with the Livescribe.  I'm considering purchase of the N2 because of the size/comfort/appearance factor.  Before I do, I want to make sure it can handle the current workflow I use.  I'm hope someone here can answer my questions:

1) Will the N2 application automatically sync with Evernote any time I update a page in a notebook or do I need to do it manually?

2) Does the N2 application store each page as a separate note in Evernote (like Livescribe) or does it store an entire notebook in a single Evernote note (like the Samsung Snote application)?

3) Assuming the answer to 2 is that each page gets stored as a separate note, are the notes searchable in Evernote (like Livescribe) ?

4) If I go into Evernote and add a tag to a note from the pen, will the Evernote tag be overwritten or preserved (like the Livescribe) if I later update the handwritten page with the pen?

5) Can I go in to Evernote and add text to the note (like Livescribe) or is the note LOCKED and un-editable in Evernote (like with the SNote/Spen application) ?

6) Assuming I can add text and checkboxes to an N2 generated note in Evernote, if I later use the pen to update the note, with this text be preserved (like Livescribe) or will the Evernote note be completely overwritten?

7) Can I go into Evernote and move an N2 generated note to any Evernote notebook I want?

8) Assuming the answer to 7 is yes, if I later update the note with the pen, will the updated note remain in the Evernote notebook I moved it to?   If not, what happens?

Thanks for the help.

EverNote is automatic ...

each page is stored separately ... and sorted automatically into folders ... 

Premium EverNote accounts makes things searchable (even for someone that writes in cursive handwriting like myself) ... the search engine is done with EverNote for content within the pages ... else you may manually add tags to the pages in the app.

(4)  I do not know ... but i would use the tags from the app ... it *seems* obvious that it will not be overwritten if you do that.  :-)

(5) Note sure ...

( I may be wrong on this ... someone else can chime in ... but I *think* that if I write notes on page 3 ... evernote gets a copy, in that folder of that book for page 3.   Now after lunch if I add something to page 3, then EverNote's OLD COPY gets updated with the complete page of the NEW COPY of that page in that app.  )

So if you manually add text to the page ... I would *imagine* it might be clobbered ... but I'm not sure.   I haven't thought about this .... but syncing seems to be done really nicely between Neo's app and Evernote ... I had to update to a Premium account as it was the FIRST TIME that I went over my limit in amount of data transferred within a month - perhaps it was because pages were continuously being updated as I was writing.   But now I am happy I did.   Everything seems UP TO DATE (always) and there are not any EXTRA COPIES OF PAGES in my NeoNotes Book folders ... (each book gets it own folder) ...   And, if you sort by note name - for the most part, the pages are ordered correctly - no matter if you wrote them in chronological order ... with the exception of 

page 15

page 150

page 151

page 152

page 153

page 154

page 16 

page 17

page 18 

THAT BEING SAID ... you may be able to add text to the pages just fine and move them elsewhere ... and they may show up again in the default Neo Notes folders on the next EverNote sync ... you may WANT TO MOVE ALL edited pages to some other folder ... I'll have to play a bit an see if this is what will work for what you are wanting to do .... no time right now ...

Keep in mind that the Google Drive BACKUP will be the exact pages of your books as well ... and those folders say explicitly (DO NOT EDIT or Change content) in the folder that gets created there for the purpose of syncing device A with device B for the Neo Notes App to be in sync on all your devices ...

I'll have to play a bit and get some resolution for you on this ... give me a day or so and I'll get back with you.

BTW ... I did not purchase a LiveScribe ... I read a LOT OF REVIEWS of users that found the pen stopped transferring the data and broke after a while ... may I ask how long you've have your LiveScribe pen for?   Comments on how reliable it is?  Model number ?  or any other comments ? 

Thanks,

Richard 

• HowardLet, RaymondMr, eqeqeqe and 2 others like this

#3 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Richard,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm looking forward to the results of your tests.

I've had my Livescribe 3 pen since the first week they came out.  It is still working fine and I've never had any of the transfer problems you refer to.  The only complaints I have are:

1) It looks different than a normal pen and not in a "high tech" good way.  It's BIG and silly looking.  I get a lot of "what the heck is that" when I use it.

2) The company is VERY slow to update software.  People have been waiting literally YEARS for promised features.  For example, like the N2, you can add "categories" to notes.   But Livescribe limits you to a total of  3 categories and they've promised an update for over a year.

3) Although, like the N2, the Livescribe allows you to record audio on your phone as you write, you cannot use your phone for conversations while recording at the same time. (there are other applications that have figured out ways to allow you to do this.)

• HowardLet, RaymondMr, eqeqeqe and 1 other like this

#4 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:45 AM

Jack,

Learning some things, did some tests ... Confirmed the following behaviors:

1.  Neo Notes app will sync to EverNote automatically seconds after writing on a page.

2.  EverNote keeps pages in a Neo Notes folder, with sub-folders named for each book.

3.  Changing a book's title in the Neo Notes app, and then syncing to EverNote, will CHANGE THE EverNote FOLDER NAME.  (I.e. You are left with a single copy of that notebook ... not two copies ... this is a good thing! )

4.  Adding writing to a page will UPDATE the EverNote copy of that page ... again, you are not left with multiple copies of that page ... just the latest, complete version of the page. 

5.  Adding keyboard typed-content (or even tags) to a page from within EverNote itself, (via a browser or whatever) will remain undisturbed - even after future Neo Notes app syncs.  I guess this is like meta-data that remains associated to files, even after writing on that page again with the pen ... and updating.  The new pen-written content will be added to  the page, but the previously typed text will also stay with the page as well.   This is pretty cool!!!

6.  Surprise, if you delete (or move) the page from the default location in EverNote, then ask your phone to perform another sync ... the Neo Notes app will spin as though it is syncing ... but will report that nothing was synced and all is up to date ... the deleted (or moved) page will not be restored in EverNote notebook folder.  (Should this behavior be considered a bug?) 

But, it's fairly easy to fix:  Making ANY WRITTEN UPDATES to the page and syncing again will result in a complete copy of the page being added back to the default EverNote location.  

However, any original tags given to the page from the app will still be listed by the app, but the EverNote copy will not contain those prior tags.  (This should be considered a bug as well.)

Pages previously moved to new locations in EverNote will remain untouched by any future app syncs ... they will keep any tags, and typed content they had before they were move from within EverNote. 

I am guessing that one could insert images into a page and be able to make updates as well ... with the image staying in the page and not interfering with adding writen content to the page ... but I have not tested this yet ... 

My observation were noted from the iOS version of the app ...  Is this the way LiveScribe behaved ?  

Thanks,

Richard

• HowardLet and eqeqeqe like this

#5 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thank you so much.  

This is exactly the way Livescribe behaves.  This is great news because I don't loose any functionality by switching to the smaller, N2 pen, and it looks like the folks are Neosmart are making much more frequent updates to software than Livescribe.   Also, Livescribe doesn't have a forum like this.

For keeping track of tasks, I still wish I didn't have to use third party applications like Swipes.   I would love to be about to set and sync Evernote tags and reminders directly with the N2 or Livescribe application.   But I have a feeling the Neosmart team will make this improvement  much sooner than the folks at Livescribe.

Jack

• HowardLet likes this

#6 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

This may be off topic, but do you use iOS or Android?  Do you have an iPad, and if so did you try NoteShelf ... awesome app.  Especially for circling parts you'd like to move around, make bigger, make smaller etc ... layout and design of logos and stuff.   They have colored pencil emulation, ink pen emulation, and highlighters (unlimited colors past the default 24 colors, and custom thickness).  They even have calligraphy pens as well with a C style tip and various sizes at a 52 degree slant.  They also allow backup to EverNote as well.

LiveScribe is one such pen they support -  I was curious to know whether or not the strokes made on paper when paired to THAT app did well on the colored pencils texture for artwork ... you should give it a try.    If you do, let me know what you think about it ... 

Thanks,

#7 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

Having a little fun here ...   :-)

everNoteBehavior.jpg

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

Richard,

I have an iPhone 6, and iPad mini, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, so I use both android and apple.   I guess I am a perfectionist as well as a technology addict, so I've been looking for the perfect system for my notes, reference material, calendar, tasks, projects for a long time.  

I have to wade through almost 200 emails a day - many with powerpoint presentations and excel attachments -  as part of my job, so having a system that readily accepts emails and documents and allows you to assign action items and due dates to them is critical for me.   

I love Noteshelf for the features you mentioned and used it for awhile, including with the Livescribe.   I've also used OneNote, which is a wonderful application on a Windows machine but very incomplete on iOS, OS X, and android.  But in the end, I always come back to Evernote because it's vastly superior support of different platforms, it's ability do search text in attachments and hand written notes, and it's ability to accept large emails with attachments and add tags, due dates, and other information.   I think the Evernote interface is ugly.  I would love it to look like OneNote or Noteshelf.  But functionality trumps looks every time for me.

So, using Evernote as my base, I also use Swipes because it works flawlessly with Evernote checkboxes and allows you to rapidly review, mark off, and reprioritize your task lists.  

I use Livescribe and now NeoNote (just got the pen yesterday!) because I love the feel of real paper and taking notes and the notes get dumped into Evernote along with everything else I need.  For me taking notes on a real piece of paper is just less awkward than a tablet.  I get into lots of situations (bright outdoor light, working on construction sites where you don't want to drop the tablet 4 stories below you, etc.)  where using a tablet isn't practical.  If I could use a tablet for this 100% of the time, it would be the Samsung.   Nothing for Apple (or even the Surface) comes close to the feel and accuracy of the SPen.

As for the Noteshelf with Livescribe - it works very well, but it has limitations.   It creates a special notebook for each Livescribe notebook you assign to Noteshelf.  This "special" notebook is a lot less useful than a normal notebook in Noteshelf.  You can't change the color or the width of the pen strokes.  You can't bring in any pictures or PDF files or other attachments.  You can't do ANYTHING that you can't already do in the Livescribe application.  So, for me, there is no point in using it.

Thanks for giving me the incentive (excuse)  I needed to by the N2. :)   I already like the feel of the pen, the quality of the ink, and the quality of the professional journal better than the Livescribe.  I like being able to write with different colors and have more than three tags.    I like the calendar feature.  I will be playing/testing more today.

Jack

#9 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:21 AM

Jack,

Thanks so much for sharing. Quick question about the livescribe and NoteShelf ... Can you copy a livescribe page from the default Livescribe created notebook into a regular notebook and perform edits as you normally can ?

Thanks again for the information. I find it very useful.
Richard.

#10 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

Yep ... the Calendar feature is pretty nice ... I have regular Monday Morning Meetings ... I take notes ... it's helpful to go to the calendar for latter referencing those notes ... 

The Google Sync ( for getting identical notes states on all devices ) is NOT AUTOMATIC ... and is prone to making a mistakes one day ... but it's better than not being able to sync at all ... And I believe they are working on better sync tools in the future ..

#11 neoLAB North America

neoLAB North America

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Richard, yes there are opportunities to make mistakes but I think you will find overtime the Google Drive Manager will start to make sense.   It would be a disaster if it were automatic because it's almost impossible to know which version of the notebook our user really wants if they are using multiple devices.

On another note if you do use multiple devices I might suggest that you turn off Evernote synch on all but one.  If you do not you will end up with a lot of clutter in your Evernote account. 

#12 richimages

richimages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:30 AM

Jack,

Thanks so much for sharing. Quick question about the livescribe and NoteShelf ... Can you copy a livescribe page from the default Livescribe created notebook into a regular notebook and perform edits as you normally can ?

Thanks again for the information. I find it very useful.
Richard.

Yep ... I just noticed that my Evernote has two folders:  a  "Neo Notes" folder and a "Neo notes" folder ... (the "n" and "N" distinguishes them in the second word).  These sort of details need to be presented in the user's manual ... this is very important.   I did not know about this ...  

Which brings me to an overall observation - I am a very detailed oriented person wanting to know all the nuance details about how something works.  Most people are not like this:  They are not going to study that deeply ... Yet the successful use of the pen to the fullest benefits requires this information.  It needs to be as easy as possible to find.  Again, the User's Manual needs to include this detail.   As it is, I find the user's manual to be a bare minimum.   Someone needs to document and organize all this information into the User's Manual with complete details ...

please give this some thought ...

Thanks,

• tstreete likes this

#13 Grinnakerwave

Grinnakerwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

The Underground Man Designated Survivor Dead Silent S01E04 HDTV x264-W4F - [SRIGGA] Rules Don’t Apply streaming O§O­U„US OµU?O? O§U‡O§O? O§U„O¬U†O? Designated Survivor S01E05 HDTV XviD-FUM[ettv]
Theo James
Serenity (2005) The crew of the ship Serenity tries to evade an assassin sent to recapture one of their number who is telepathic.
SГ©ances (132)
Krishna Gaadi Veera Prema Gaadha2016
DANSCAN Blandet Dansk Tegneserie Pakkekalender 2016 - 12 [Isohunt.to]

Code Black S02E07 HDTV x264-FLEET[PRiME]
Tedashii 2016
Euro Truck Simulator 2
BitLord.com
Alanis Morissette - Live At Luna Park Stadium In Buenos Aires 22

Barely Lethal (2015) online
I cieli di Escaflowne S01e14-26 [H264 - Ita Aac] [Isohunt.to]

blindspot s1 fr
The Wolfman (2010) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED
Petes Dragon 2016 BDRip x264-COCAIN mkv
A Million WAys to Die in the West (2014) 720p HDRip XviD 5.1-VENUM
BitLord.com

#14 Grinnakerwave

Grinnakerwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

one punch man Impastor S02E08 720p HDTV x264-FLEET[PRiME] Aleese Simmons I Want To Be Your Lover NOVA S44E07 Treasures of the Earth-Power HDTV x264-SDI - [SRIGGA] Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones 2014 EXTENDED Defloration 16 11 17 Sofia Staromesto Solo 2 XXX 1080p MP4-KTR[rarbg]
Mission Impossible 5 Rogue Nation
Pokemon xyz

(2016) DVDRip Dog Eat Dog
Hardcore Henry
SEO/PPC and IM November 2016 Collection
Anomalisa 2015 HD ????? ????? 7.5
Canadian Idol

Torrent Downloads
The Hofstadter season 07 episode 01
Moana (2016) DVDSCR - 600MB -...
Project Runway Junior - season 2 - Episode 5
The Solus Project

Dont Breathe 2016 1080p BRRip x264 AAC-ETRG
Great Artists in Their Own Words S01E01 - The Future Is Now (1907-1939)
25 Pokemon Roms for GBC, GBA, and NDS + Emulators
As Dirty as She Wants to Be (US) (1990).mp4
JacquieEtMichelTV - Ivana Sugar, Alexia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users